Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Good Morning Muffins

image

(can also be bread)
3 eggs
1 C. vegetable oil
2 C. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 C. shredded carrots
2 C. shredded zucchini
1 8 oz. can drained crushed pineapple
3 C. flour (I use wheat flour, but the original recipe is white. Whatever floats your boat).
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
Mix eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla together. Add the carrots/zucchini/pineapple. Mix the remaining dry ingredients together separately. Then blend the wet stuff into the dry stuff.
Pour into paper lined muffin tins. (I use papers for easy freezing-- they don;t stick together as much. Also, less clean-up mess.) I sometimes have extra mix after filling 24 papers, so I pour the rest into a greased mini-bread pan. You could also just make this into bread and not muffins. Whatever floats your boat.
Bake at 350.
30-40 minutes for muffins.
50-60 minutes for full-sized bread.
Done when toothpick comes out clean.
These are great for the kids, but also SO yummy for us as well!

Variations:

Kristy's
Emily, I made your zucchini / carrot muffins today. Except I didn't have zucchini or pineapple so I doubled the carrot and used raspberries instead of pineapple. I mean, really, the possibilities are endless with these muffins. I'm trying to think of some other combinations to sneak in there - broccoli, maybe????? :D
Anyway, they were YUMMY! Luke LOVES them (and so do I) and has no idea he's eating carrots (which he normally HATES). He cried when I would only give him one for a snack.
As for the raspberries - honestly I didn't measure them, but I think I put about a cup in - still frozen from the package. I used my kitchemaid mixer and it kind of broke them up (I was secretly hoping it would turn the batter pink, but it made it a strange purple color :lol: ).
I've also doubled the carrots when I didn't have zucchini and didn't feel like running to the store.
I also use all whole wheat flour, but I think that doesn't make them rise as well (although it still tastes good to me).
Sarah's
Emily - I just made your muffins and I can't stop eating them! :love: They are delicious! I made them with a 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of apple sauce instead of a cup of oil and they are still yummy! Thanks for sharing that recipe. Now I just hope the kids eat them! Certainly I won't be telling them there are fruit and veggies and whole wheat flour because I don't think they will be able to tell.
Dawn OTF's
I just made some more today and this is what I did.
Instead of
1 C. oil I used 1/2 C. oil & 1/2 C. applesauce
2 C. sugar I used 1 1/2 C.
2 C. whole wheat flour & 1 C. white flour I used 2 C. ww flour & 1/2 C. white flour & 1/2 C. oats. I sprinkled a little more oats and ww flour in because it seemed a little moist.
They were just as good as when I made the original

2 comments:

  1. Sharron, you ROCK!!! It's midnight and I just about cried at the thought of having to search through OLW to find this reacipe...and then I remembered your blog!!! Hooray!!! And thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete