4-1/2 to 5 lbs banana, buttercup, butternut, Hubbard and/or Turban squash
2 cups chopped green inions
1 TBSP snipped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme crushed
1/4 cup butter
5 cups chicken stock or reduced sodium chicken broth (3, 14.5 oz cans)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
3 TBSP snipped chives
Toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled (optional) --Yeah right!!
1. Wash and halve squash lengthwise; remove seeds. Place sides, cut sides down in baking dish(es). Bake at 350 for 30 mins. Turn cut sides up, bake covered for 20-25 min more or until tender. Cool slightly
2. Meanwhile, in dutch oven or kettle, cook green onions and thyme in butter over med-low heat for 10 mins or until tender.
3. Scoop squash out of skins; discard skins. Place about 1/4 of squash, onion mixture and chicken stock or broth at a time in food processor bowl or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Repeat in batches.
4. Return all to dutch oven or kettle. Stir in pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover, simmer 20 mins
5. TO serve, ladle soup into warm bowls. Drizzle with sour cream and sprinkle with snipped chives. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds or crumbled bacon.
Make ahead tip -- soup can be prepared through step 4, then cooled, covered and chilled for up to 24 hrs Reheat to serve.
8 servings: Per serving: calories = 148, Fat=10g
Ok, now after typing that, I want to make it!!