Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chicken Casserole

3 Chicken breasts (or 1-2 pounds of chicken) cooked and shredded
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup (I used the almost fat free stuff)
2-3 cups cheddar cheese (I like sharp)
Egg Noodles (at least a 6 serving bag)
1/2 cup milk (* see below)
Salt and pepper to taste (I use 1 tsp. salt, and .5 tsp. of pepper)

Cook chicken and shred. Cook egg noodles to desired consistency and drain (I like my nods a little al dente and they finish cooking in the oven). Start heating soup on stove and add in milk. Once it's warm, add in 2 cups of cheese and wait till it has melted. Once melted, add in chicken and noodles. Mix together and place in baking dish (I use a 9 by 13 glass dish). Sprinkle remaining cheese on top OR sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 till the edges become bubbly. Let cool for a few and serve!

(This is one of those recipes that I use my Crockpot for. I cook frozen chicken breasts all day long on LOW in the Crockpot. The other day I added in a cup of white wine and 2 chicken bouillon cubes. When I get home I cut the chicken (just so when it shreds you don't have majorly long pieces) and stir it to shred it. I kept the juice this time, instead of draining it off. There was about a quarter cup of juices in the end, so I just added in 1/4 cup of milk. It was still perfect! You can also use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Just shred it at home and add it in. It's delicious that way too and really is super quick.)

This is one of those recipes that remind me of my childhood. My mom used to make this for us as kids, and it was always a favorite. When I was preggo, I craved this. It freezes well and goes over great as a meal to take to a friend. It's my easy go to recipe to make after someone has had a surgery or a baby. I've never gotten a bad review on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment